Do you want to
- ✓ Minimise the chemicals you expose yourself and your family to?
- ✓ Protect & nourish your sensitive skin?
- ✓ Use environmentally friendly products?
- ✓ Buy palm oil free?
- ✓ Support a small business?
- ✓ Purchase direct from the maker?
At Washpool we hand-craft the highest-quality natural soaps and cleansers, using the best ethically sourced ingredients.
When you purchase Washpool products you’ll be reassured that
- We’ve done the research for you - we carefully source our ingredients from ethical & fair trade suppliers, and we buy Australian, organic and local where possible.
- There’s no “nasties” in our products - you’ll be able to recognise our ingredients - most of which are edible and food grade. Our ingredients include cold pressed edible oils, butters and milks, extracts, infusions, activated and whole botanicals along with clays, honey, fruit and vegetables. Find out more about our ingredients.
- We carefully hand-craft and package all of our products on site
- We seriously investigate the best options for packaging, including purchasing biodegradable, recycled and recyclable packaging
- Our products are not tested on animals (except our human volunteers!)
- You’re supporting a family-run rural business who gives back to our local community and charities
- Your bathing experience will become a sensory heaven filled with luscious lathers and heavenly scents
Meet Melissa - Washpool owner & head soapmaker
Hi! I’m Melissa, and like you, I want to nourish and nurture myself and my family.
A decade ago, while I was homeschooling my three young daughters and living on a remote cattle station, near Roma in Queensland, I had an epiphany.
I realised that while I was focusing on choosing wholesome nourishing food for my family, but I wasn’t choosing wholesome, nourishing products for our skin.
I started reading the ingredients list of commercial soaps and detergents we bought. There were so many ingredients that I couldn’t even pronounce.
Living a dusty hour’s drive on a dirt track an hour away from the nearest supermarket, I always bought the raw ingredients for our food and made things like bread from scratch. There was no ducking out to the shops to quickly grab a takeaway for dinner or a bottle of milk. We made it ourselves or we went without.
I thought, “what if I made my own soap?”.
So I did. I started making natural soap at home, first for my family, then for my friends. I learnt from classic soapmaking books such as Soap Naturally by an Australian of Italian heritage, Marina Tadiello (unfortunately now out of print).
Around this time we moved to our current home, in Ballandean, in the heart of Queensland’s biggest wine-growing region.
My children were now able to attend our local school, and with more time available, I started experimenting in earnest.
I expanded production and sold at our local markets for a couple of years, until, with rave reviews and a keen customer base, I outgrew my home kitchen and purchased the storefront and workshop near my home at Ballandean.
With more room to make, we started our online store to share the love of our products across Australia.
I now employ five local women who help me make, package and send your orders.
I’m proud of what I’ve achieved, and I know you’ll love our products.
Because I love to study topics deeply and enjoy reading I try to tweak what I do as I learn. My favourite quote is:
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
— Maya Angelou
The Washpool Farm Soaperie difference
We believe in being small enough to listen and being big enough to deliver. We believe in handmade and we take pleasure in providing meaningful employment to people living in our rural community.
“Fantastic product and second to none in service. I can’t fault my experience with Washpool at all, not a thing, the personal service is beyond amazing, the products are fantastic and the ethics behind the ingredients are spot on. A fantastic company, I see no reason why I would need to buy soaps elsewhere ever again.” - David
Our store & workshop at Ballandean
When you visit our store you’ll be delighted by the gorgeous scents as you walk through the doors.
We sell our Washpool-made products here, and also a range of eco-friendly products and locally made goodies.
“One of my favourite places, just walking into the room you get hit with all these incredible smells. My skin has never been smoother and my bad breakouts are healing. From facial serum to soap to hand wash I can’t get enough.” - Lisa
Where are we?
We’re in the heart of the Granite Belt Wine Country and just down the road from the gorgeous Girraween and Sundown National Parks.
Direct to consumer pricing
We offer our products direct to our clients at wholesale prices. What does this mean for you?
This means we’ve cut out the middle-man, and that we can provide you with quality products at a fraction of what you'd pay in a retail store.
When I lived on that isolated, drought declared property with three small children, it was difficult to focus on health. We were in survival mode. That experience (and the fact we are still at the mercy of the weather with our current cattle station) gives me enormous empathy for everyday people. It's always my priority to make sure our natural skincare is as affordable as it can be while not compromising on quality raw materials. This doesn't mean we have the cheapest products around, but with our direct to consumer pricing our prices are as low as they can be for a quality, handmade natural product.
Keep in touch
Sign up to our newsletter and we’ll send you news & special offers once or twice a month. No spam!
Real soap for real people